Saturday, April 2, 2011

discouraging day - what do you care?!

I told myself I wouldn't complain or make this blog a venue for feeling sorry for myself.  Let it be known that that isn't why I'm about to whine, but something rather strange but not terribly surprising happened to me this morning.  I was at my young son's basketball game, which is generally standing room only around the perimeter of the court.  My legs generally get pretty tired if I stand for a long time, so I crouched down and leaned against the wall.

Now, I appear to most people to be just a normal guy despite the fact that my legs are always sore, fatigued, whatever, and my balance is poor.  The "soreness" is worse in the morning and difficult to describe.  I guess it always feels like I need to stretch really bad and can't.  Maybe it feels like your legs feel immediately after the doctor hits your reflex spot on your knee - that feeling that your entire leg is ultra-tense and ready to fire again... or, the feel like they do when your feet fall asleep and are super sensitive - without the tingling.  Well...

When I decided to sit down after squatting for a while, I quickly discovered that my feet had fallen asleep.  Ordinarily that's a pain in the ass, but it is now something that apparently is completely paralyzing.  When I sat and went to put my feet out, it was as if all of the nerves in my feet were exposed and my legs jumped uncontrollably when I tried to set my feet down.  There was about a minute there where I was completely helpless and basically writhing because I couldn't figure out to just set my feet down so I could relax.  All this while trying not to make a scene... it was great fun.

Then, when it was time to go, I am really gimpy because I still get that instant "zing" every time I put my feet down to take a step.  Not quite as bad as it was, but definitely touchy.  I'm sitting here writing this 12 hours later and my legs are killing me, I assume because of that few minutes of completely seizing up...

Anyway - I know that many of you wish that was all you had to worry about and know that I don't ever lose sight of that.  I really do look at myself as pretty lucky in the whole scheme of things.  I was really just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.  Any home-remedies would be appreciated.  I guess my days of making due without a chair are over...

No comments:

Post a Comment